Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lobsters Beware!

It's amazing to think that I am only a couple hours away from August. In two hours, one of the biggest holidays of the year for LSI begins! Tomorrow is the opening day of lobster season here in the Bahamas. Everyone here has been counting down for weeks! We are meeting at 7am to hop into boats and go collect all of the lobsters Brenda, our island manager, has been scoping.

No scuba is allowed so all of the hunting is done with free diving and you're only allowed to use Hawaiian sling style spears not actual spear guns. Those spears are like 7 feet long and you cock them with the equivalent of a giant sling shot. It ought to be a total adventure since I have never been spearfishing before! Allegedly it's a great way to see sharks as well so I will let you know if we collect a little gang of them following us from site to site. Wish me tons of luck! If I have any skill I'll be eating lobster tomorrow night!

No comments: