Monday, July 7, 2008

How to Reach Me on Lee Stocking Island

Hello All!

I have been down here in the Bahamas for about three weeks now and realized a blog might be the easiest way to keep everyone up to date with all the adventures I am up to.

For anyone who doesn't know why I'm living tropical this summer, I was hired as a research field assistant for the Hixon lab from Oregon State to work as part of the research team based at Lee Stocking Island. Additionally, I won a grant that is giving me the chance to study the invasion of Indo-Pacific lionfish to the area and their effect on endemic Carribean reef fishes. It's very very exciting!

The island is home to the Perry Institute for Marine Science (PIMS) / Carribean Marine Research Center. It's about two miles long and about half a mile wide and is part of the western edge of Exuma Sound. I'm living on island with the rest of the team and have internet (ie email or Skype can reach me) and a plane flies mail and packages in every week or so (ie please send me cool stuff). Please feel free to send me messages or thinking of you mail and I will do my very best to keep up with replying.

The address is:
PIMS/ Jetscape N814BC
Attn: Megan Cook
240 SW 34th St.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33315

If you decide to send me a package (mail is excluded) you need to email the island manager Brenda (bgadd@perryinstitute.org) or myself (cookme@onid.orst.edu) with the weight and contents otherwise it will get trapped in Bahamian customs and may never reach me. Scary thought!

I think about you all often and hope you're having marvelous summers! I will do my best to update this blog with the happenings of the last three weeks and keep up as life and science rush by at a furious pace on this pretty island!

2 comments:

David Liskey said...

I will do my best to send you all the crazy things I can manage. Or at the very least a drunken postcard. It's the least I could do.

JulsSW said...

Oh my goodness, you and your awesome adventures (and to do it all through school!) I'm so excited to read and see what you're up to!